Wow. This spring was seriously CRAZY. A move, tons of visitors, trips home in March and June, birthdays, the list goes on.
Basically: lots of boozing and not exactly the healthiest meals. I re-read some of my fitness posts and people may have gotten the impression that I live in the gym eating kale 24/7. Oh how far from the truth that is these days. I love to have fun and am a pretty social person, so I feel like good food and booze will always be a part of my life.
I’ve been on a pretty epic bender lately and it’s been hard to focus on maintaining this healthier lifestyle that I’ve worked so hard to achieve. In previous years when this happens, I’ve slowly just given up— stopped even going to the gym or even attempting to eat healthy. My thought was eh, I’ve already blown it, whatever.
While I haven’t exactly been a stellar role model these past couple of months, I will say my mindset has definitely come a long way from those days. Not counting the week that I went home, I still have made it to the gym 4+ days a week. During the week, I try to consume healthy breakfasts and lunches at the very least. Even when I’m out boozing, I try not to let all hell break loose with my eating choices (ex- tuna burger rather than truffle mac n cheese that sort of thing). That whole “it’s a lifestyle” mantra, while very annoying and overused, is the truth. Fitness/health/nutrition all take a lot of constant work and effort.
And this is NOT to say that you should be obsessing so much about it that you find yourself not being able to enjoy “breaks”. I think that actually is what finally made the difference for me. Rather than feeling regret about not being totally healthy, I’ve allowed myself to say it’s okay. You only live once, and seriously, indulgence every once in a while is a very good thing for the soul. The past month and a half has been one of the best and most fun of my life and I wouldn’t trade it for anything- certainly not more days in the gym and lower calorie meals! I know that I will get back on track eventually, so why not just soak it up and enjoy it. And that’s another change- I knew and had faith that I would get back on track!
I think it’s also helpful to remember your overall goal. If you’re trying to achieve the “best body ever” or “___ size” then I’m probably not the person to talk to hahaha and ignore the advice in the post. Health really should be about feeling good and taking care of our bodies so we live long and fulfilling lives!
My last visitor for a while leaves tomorrow and my half marathon training starts up next week. While a part of me wishes I could prolong the bender, I am looking forward to some healthy weeks ahead! Never thought I would say that in a million years!
So if you’re feeling like you already “blew” it - don’t give up!! No one is perfect. You will have better days, just keep trying. Remember that you also never “regret” or “feel bad” after you go to the gym or have a good workout- so try to keep making it there at the very least.
OMG. One of the best weekends/weeks of my life!!! I was not prepared for how fun that was going to be is all I have to say! With all the amazing and wonderful women in my life, I should have known. Everyone was so sweet and thoughtful and truly made me feel special! I was so touched. Here are some big thank-yous and highlights and fave memories from the week with some inside jokes:
- My MOH being the best MOH ever and planning an amaaazing night at Oya and Sax in DC!
- My mom, aunt and mom’s bestie being such cool ladies that they actually attended the bachelorette and had a blast
- MB for being so helpful with my MOH’s organizing!
- My bmaids KL and SK for sending me a gift to the bachelorette from Norway and Liberia and making me burst into tears <3
- For CM showing up and hanging out post-work and giving us a ride from SAX
- GG thinking CM was a private driver and realizing that it was in fact one of our friends
- An impressive new tactic was found for relieving one’s self on a sidewalk of DC
- Rumors. No words.
- DV being sent home and not making it to Rumors hahaha.
- The sparkly USA baseball cap that is TBD where we found it from….
- A killer group text message chain and all the hilarious commentary and non-instagrammable pics
- CW, JH and AU for continuing #ashbash all through Saturday. Actually, and others?
- RF for maybe sustaining a broken ankle during the bach?!?!/weekend festivities
- GG for getting up at 8 a.m. in the morning to go to a wedding in Jersey then getting up AGAIN early in the morning on Sunday to come back for my shower! And hanging with me all Sunday. #besties4lyfe
- MC for making it to the shower post-UVA Reunions <3 and SR for coming in the middle of all her wedding planning! Also my entire Jersey family for coming down just for the day!
- My family rocking out at the Fish Market after the shower esp Grammy who per usual wanted to dance on tables (we know where we get it from)
- A Sunday Funday at A-Town (one of the craziest bars I have ever been to) that will be one for the books— Fireball shots, crazy dancing and meeting the owner of the Fish Market?!?!?! *** I forgot to mention SS for her insatiable partying and for hanging out with us all night sober, driving us to Mario’s and letting us crash in her mansion <3
It seriously was such an amazing trip home and made me miss everyone TONS. I love love SF, but my home is DC and with all these amazing people who have seen me at my best and definitely at my worst and somehow still want to be friends with me hahahaha. I will be back one day <3. Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!
This girl is a co-founder of Girls Gone Strong, a non-profit dedicated to helping women with fitness and nutritional goals, and also encourage strength of the mind and spirit. This post is awesome and addresses a lot of the body issues women struggle with. This quote says it all:
“So that’s what I want you to realize. None of us have it all figured out. Some of us are farther along in our self-acceptance journey than others, but we are all in it together. In the meantime, let’s can the trash talk about our own bodies AND each other’s bodies. (Yes, I hear it all the time. Women trashing on other women, and I’ve been guilty of it as well, when I was unhappy with myself).
We have a finite amount of time on this planet, don’t we want to spend as little of it as possible surrounded by negativity?”